Reading New Moon: Chapter 6 (Friends)
August 1st, 2008 at 12:05 am by Kaleb Nation
The song for this chapter is Better Together by Jack Johnson (suggested by M.L.)
I know this chapter came in a day late, but I just couldn’t wait off on reading the next one, especially since any progress towards catching up with everyone would be wonderful, knowing What Happens Tonight. Finally, the day that everyone has been looking forward to for so long: I think Stephenie deserves a toast, for this evening she has her sure-to-be awesome tour kickoff in New York, and later, the release of Breaking Dawn!
Even The Old Masters Have Been Waiting
On to chapter six of New Moon!
It is a joyful sound to hear Bella laughing again, seeing how depressed she has been all this time. Again, Edward is not mentioned once, as if the remembrance of him has been pushed into the back of Bella’s mind to be only a distant memory. In fact, I don’t think I saw his name a single time in the entire chapter, now. It’s almost as if she’s really moved on. Bella’s happiness seems to also be visibly shocking to Charlie as he comes in to find her not sullen for a change.
I really like to see Bella with Jacob, even though I don’t know enough about him to really swear allegiance to Team Edward or Team Jacob yet. When you put Edward and Jacob side-by-side, there are so many noticeable differences, many of them far opposite. While Edward seems to be quiet and inward, Jacob is this bouncy energetic person who does lots of the talking when he and Bella are together. It’s almost as if Jacob is making up for all the happiness that Bella is currently lacking after Edward left. Jacob could be the best thing for Bella at the moment, because he is slowly drawing her back from her sullen sadness.
Where Edward, also, seemed to be so dangerous to Bella, I see that Jacob is a relatively ‘safe’ friend. I am guessing that there are probably vast things that I have yet to see (I can’t imagine Bella with someone who could be deemed completely ‘safe’). Does anyone agree? Are there other major things that seem to be different between Jacob and Edward that I am overlooking?
And then, yet another black bear, sighted by Angela. After already reading a book by Stephenie Meyer I know to keep an eye out for things like this, and anytime something is mentioned twice it means it’s especially important. The funny thing is, I have not yet been spoilered as to what part the black bears play. Are they really bears? With Emmett and Edward not hunting them, have the bears suddenly overrun the woods? I’m not really certain but I have my suspicions.
Looking For Clues To The Bears
The entrance of Sam Uley as a character of importance was something I picked up on when he was acting odd, that first time when they found Bella left in the woods. It was as if he knew what had really happened somehow, and like the others, he didn’t trust Edward. There’s something fishy going on…
Ha! How fun. There is a Seth in the book. I wonder if this Seth was named after Seth the Famous Webmaster
I had an odd thought while I was reading this chapter. I started to wonder what Edward was doing during all this time away from Bella. I see how much it affected her, and if she reacted in this way to Edward leaving, how much more so is it painful for him? I’m hoping to find out what’s been going on with him later on in the book.
I also have a question for the Team Edwards in the comment box: do you think that Jacob at least plays a good part in bringing Bella up while Edward is gone, or do you loathe him completely and think he’s taking advantage of Bella’s loneliness by jumping in Edward’s place?
- The site just passed 1 Million Hits! Thanks everyone who helped TwilightGuy.com reach that enormous milestone just in time for Breaking Dawn!
- I’m going to be online tonight watching the Breaking Dawn event on iClips.net! While I’m waiting anxiously for the link to go live, I will be participating in a talk with the Washington Post and two other Twilight bloggers from TwilightMoms and HisGoldenEyes. You can join us live today at 1:00 PM US eastern time or send in questions early if you won’t be able to make it!
- I recently appeared as part of a cool slideshow for BusinessWeek. You can check it out here.
- If you missed Stephenie on Good Morning America, check it out here.
- The Chat Page is tenatively scheduled to launch on August 4, though if you’re sneaky the link will probably show up a little before midnight depending on your time zone. I will be popping in there often so hopefully I’ll get to talk to everyone!